SPECIAL CONTRACEPTION FOR SMOKING WOMEN
Estrogen is one of the hormones in combined hormonal contraception and is suitable for women who smoke.
Why? It can contribute to a variety of health problems, so when choosing a contraceptive, a woman should be ashamed to tell her gynecologist that she smokes.
Why contraception of two hormones is not recommended
The hormonal contraceptive ring, the two hormone contraceptive pills and the contraceptive patch contain two types of hormones: estrogen and progestin.
Contraceptive pills, injections and implants for women who smoke contain only one hormone, a progestin, which does not harm the smoker’s health.
Both substances in cigarette smoke and estrogen affect the walls of blood vessels, so:
- There is a risk of damage to the walls of blood vessels, such as blood clots.
- There is an increased risk of cardiovascular disease.
- If there are varicose veins, the risk of venous thrombosis increases up to tenfold, which can lead to myocardial infarction or stroke.
Particularly high risk of health problems is when dual hormone contraception is used by a smoker over the age of 35.
Experts point out that if you smoke over one pack of cigarettes a day when you reach the age of 35, a woman should no longer use combined hormonal contraception at all to avoid exposing herself to the risk of a blood clot embolism.
Contraceptives containing only progestin
- Progestin tablets.
- Progestin injections.
How do progestin pills work
Unlike combined hormonal contraceptive pills, which contain two hormones, progestin pills contain only one hormone, progestin.
- The progestin helps to thicken the lining of the cervix, which makes it harder for sperm to enter the uterus, and stops the formation of new cells in the uterus lining (proliferation).
- This hormone also inhibits egg maturation and inhibits ovulation.
If everything is done correctly, the effectiveness of progestin tablets is 98%.
Proper use of progestin tablets
Each blister contains 28 tablets. You should take one tablet every day without interruption.
- Arrows are printed on each plate.
- On the new label, take the tablet in the top row and marked with today’s name first.
- From now on, take one tablet a day at the same time.
When the plaque is empty without waiting for the bleeding to start, we should start a new one the next day.
Progestin in other cases as well
The most important feature of progestin pills is that they contain only one hormone, so this method of contraception is a solution for women in the following cases:
- During breastfeeding.
- For older ladies.
- For smokers.
- Combination hormonal contraception should not be used.
- If you have diabetes.
- In case of heart disease.
- High blood pressure has been observed.
- There is a migraine.
- Pain and heavy bleeding during menstruation.
- Problems with blood clotting.
The Bottom Line
Do not forget that the most suitable method of contraception for you and your health can be determined only by a visit to a gynecologist!