What To Do If A Bee Has Bitten Me?
Who has not been bitten by a bee or a wasp in childhood! The craziest experienced even bumblebee stings.
It can be very dangerous for both young children and adults. Especially if it is the child’s first contact with insect venom and we do not know it how he will react to it.
1. In order to avoid bee and wasp stings (bumblebees are extremely rare), it is necessary to avoid staying close to them, for example, near hives, between flower plantations, and not walking barefoot on the grass where the flowers grow.
2. In the presence of bees, wasps, do not wave your hands, run on top, touch at all. It is better to amble calmly away from where these insects congregate.
Avoid swallowing an insect – this usually happens when a bee or wasp has fallen into a drink or food.
In the summer, you need to teach children that before eating and drinking; Look at the dish and the fruits and berries.
If this happens and the insect stings, medical emergency should be called immediately, because the swelling from the sting can completely block the airways and block breathing. Especially for children whose airways are already narrow.
3. Insects are attracted by the sweet scent of flowers and fruits – avoid cosmetic products with delicious aromas. Bright clothes, especially with a floral pattern, also attract insects.
4. Sometimes there is a “luck” to find the hive of an abandoned wasps – teach children not to touch it.
It can only seem abandoned and can irritate wasps and cause them to sting repeatedly.
Even if there has been no severe reaction before, if a person is stung repeatedly, there is a risk of more severe manifestations.
It is necessary to seek help if a child with 5 kg of weight has 5 stings (the first time already 3 stings), adolescents – 50 stings.
What Happens If An Insect Has Bitten Me?
- Bee or wasp stings for most people will cause pain, itching, redness and swelling at the site of the sting. The pain can be very severe and last from a few hours to a day. Itching appears after pain, may persist for several days.
- The edema is usually local and may persist for up to a week. After bee stings, edema may appear within 48 hours. The redness can last for up to 3 days. Infections at the site of the sting are rare. The sooner you remove the bee sting, the greater the chance that the manifestations will be smaller and shorter.
- A few people may experience more severe reactions, such as large-scale edema, rash. Especially dangerous if it is on the face.
- In particularly severe cases, an anaphylactic reaction, which is a severe allergic reaction, may occur. It develops within 2 hours as extensive swelling, difficulty breathing, rash and may develop shock, which can be fatal if not treated in time. Such a severe reaction develops in ~ 4 out of 1,000 stung children. If a child develops extensive edema after a sting that spreads severely beyond the site of the sting, we should seek help.
What Steps Should I Take?
- The bee sting must be removed – this is done by carefully scraping with a nail, the edge of a credit card and the like.
- Be careful when using tweezers, because squeezing the sting will release more poisons, which will aggravate the symptoms. If the sting is under the skin – leave it there. Bee stings are rarely infected, but when trying to cut out and scratch the sting, the risk of infecting a larger wound increases.
- You can try to neutralize the bee venom and reduce the pain by smearing deodorant with aluminum or soda paste on the sting. Hold for 20 min.
- Pain: cold (ice cube massage, cold compress for up to 20 minutes), paracetamol, ibuprofen.
- If there is edema, tell the pharmacy what happened and ask for tablets or lubricating anti-allergy drugs. There you will be advised the most suitable ones.
Call an ambulance if you have previously had an allergic reaction to a:
- difficulty breathing,
- cough and hoarseness,
- feeling of pressure and tightness in the throat;
- difficulty swallowing,
- edema or urticaria-like rash spreads all over the body,
- strongly outside the sting;
- difficult speech;
- behavior confusion,
- the child loses consciousness, is unable to stand, walk;
- if you feel that your child’s life is in danger!
- Call an ambulance if a person is stung in the throat after the insect enters the mouth; burns in or near the eye; If a child with 5 kg weight has 5 stings (the first time I would worry about 3 simultaneous stings), the teenager has 50 stings. Even 1 sting for a small child is enough reason to seek help.
Call your family doctor if your child complains of:
- abdominal pain,
- vomiting or diarrhea after being stung;
- fever begins,
- the sting appears inflamed, infected;
- 48 hours have passed since the sting, but the redness does not decrease;
- edema greater than 10 cm in diameter, spreads over the joints.